Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Arrival at Santorini Greece

I had booked two roundtrip tickets in order to have a day to tour Athens on my way home.  Deana will be accompanying me on this little side kick.  After booking trip, I was informed that a leg had been cancelled and I had to find an itinerary that fit with my 2nd roundtrip ticket.  I was concerned about going through customs so I had put about 4 or so hours between landing in Athens and departing for Santorini.  I went through customs in Brussels which had no wait line and only to show passport.  I arrived in Athens, grabbed my luggage, went straight to ticket counter and changed my flight to earlier flight.  Julie was coming from Wilson and would be on the earlier flight.  Nancy was picking her up and then later sending driver to get me because Good Friday traffic was a little harry.  Anyway, I surprised Julie at the gate, emailed Nancy to cancel driver and off we go into the wild blue yonder.

Nancy was there waiting on us and drove like an islander through those winding narrow roads.  We're staying in Oia (pronounced "ee ah") in a cave house on a side of a cliff overlooking the Caldera.  That means there are many steps that are not even, nor uniform in height and can be quite treacherous for the weak kneed. However, it is the most picturesque place on this planet.  We have decided you can't take a bad picture.

Our first night was a quick shower and out the door to stroll down the __________ and get a little taste of the village, literally and figuratively.  Being Good Friday meant we got to be right in the middle of all of the celebrations and rituals the people of Greece adhere to.  Churches are everywhere and were open so we strolled in ______ that was very near our house.  The Greek Orthodox churches are very ornate and most have a blue dome.  The faithful were to meet up at the church and follow the (we thought) baby Jesus to another church down the walk.  We made it back to house and slept in till noon as there are 7 hours difference in EST and Greek time.

Saturday, we drove d

No comments:

Post a Comment